- GPA of 3.0 or above. Although 3.0 is the minimum GPA we require, most applicants have GPA over 3.5, quite a few in the 3.9-4.0 range.
- Incoming seniors preferred, although strong incoming juniors and sophomores will be considered.
- Major in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Linguistics and related fields.
- Strong programming skills in one or more of Java, C, C++, C# and ability to quickly learn languages and tools.
- Must be citizen or permanent resident of the US.
- Preference to students in institutions without substantial research facilities, but others are very welcome to apply.
- Women and under-represented minority (African-American, Hispanic, American-Indian) applicants are very welcome to apply.
- You must intend to go to graduate school. The REU program prepares students for graduate school and careers in research.
- We want to be able to write papers based on your work. Quite frequently, the work a student does by the end of the summer is not enough to write a paper. We are looking for students who are serious about writing papers. This may mean that you are willing to put in some time during the Fall term or during the winter break (at your home institution or at home) tying up the loose ends so that we can submit papers.